Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Wow! Two Finishes

I hope everything is going okay for every one of my followers.  The midwest has been devastated by flooding and tornadoes and it's just the beginning of hurricane season down here.  I hope we get lucky this year with no hurricanes making land but it's all in God's hands and we can only hope for the best.

I finally finished knitting a blanket for the new baby.  It's made from one of those new self striping yarns called Bernat Pipsqueak Stripes.  It's a fun yarn to work with if you have some patience.  It's fuzzy for lack of a better word.  Here is what it looks like....



I used a size 10.5 circular knitting needle and it worked up just fine.  Here's my finished blanket.  Take notice that the edging I crocheted with just a plain acrylic yarn in a baby yellow.



The doll I'm sure many of you recognize.  That's my Shirley Temple doll from when I was little.  My Mother was a very huge fan of hers and purchased two dolls, one for me and one for my cousin in 1957.  My cousin has passed away so I have no idea what happened to hers but I still have mine.  It will now be Evelyn's.  

I had purchased three of these cakes of yarn but I only used two so if you would want it, please email me at grammy5822@gmail.com.  First come, first serve.

I'm not sure if I ever shared my great find at an estate sale from a few months ago.  It was a neighbor down the street and I had known them for many years.  I'm glad I have something to remember them by.



I have a lot of my family and stitching treasures in the top part and in the bottom drawers, I'm able to store the seasonal cross stitches.  Comes in very handy for my decorating.  It stands in our foyer and I love it.

I was also able to finish my BEE picture.  I decided to flat mount it instead of making it into a pillow like the designer did.  



I didn't add the beekeep on the left hand side as the design called for.  Instead I added three different fabrics with bees on them and placed the lace over top of them.  I also added a JABCO bee button to it.  I like how it turned out and now I'm looking for a small black stand to hold it with.

That's all that I've been up to besides trying to stay cool when the temps get above 100 degrees.  We need rain so bad and I hope we get some soon.  I've also been doing a little bit of baby sitting which is no trouble for me.  We went on our last trip to Magic Kingdom last friday and I'm glad it's finished for the summer.  It just gets too hot for me and I can't stand the crowds.  But I did meet an interesting family visiting from Saudi Arabia.  It was the Mother and four children, two of which were grown.  I asked why they decided to come to Disney and the oldest boy said that it was his wish for finishing college.  He was so proud.....I'm not sure if it was because he finished college or that they were at Disney.  Oh well, everyone's taste is different.


Blessings, Barbara




5 comments:

gracie said...

Beautiful blanket and lovely shades of yellow. I love your estate find. Wonderful you still have your Shirley Temple doll. I have one from Kellogg's Corn Flakes!Stay safe with the storm season arriving. We are getting closer to our Monsoons here in Arizona...June 15th.

marly said...

Haven't heard the word pipsqueak in a long while. Love it!! That blanket looks so so soft and comfy. Can you make a little pillow cover with the leftover?

I'm impressed with that young man that wanted to experience the fun of Disney with his family after years of study.

diamondc said...

Barbara: Love the Bee finish, I do like the fabric with bees added.
Oh my gosh I want to learn to knit and crochet just to make something with that kind of yarn.
Love the Shirley temple doll so sweet.
Youi have a treasure in that cabinet it is a beauty.

Catherine

Marilyn said...

I've seen that yarn in the store, it's soooo soft you can hardly feel it in your hand! Your blanket turned out pretty with the edging.
Love that Shirley Temple doll, what a treasure.
What a beautiful cabinet, and your Bee stitch is so cute.
LOL, love that funny! I can relate. :)
Marilyn

Robin in Virginia said...

What a fabulous blanket you created for the grandbaby to be, Barbara! I love your Bee stitch and how you finished it. The piece of furniture from the estate sale is gorgeous. I know that you will enjoy having and using it. Stay cool!