Tuesday, April 30, 2019

It's Nice To See Where You Come From

I hope everyone's week is going great so far.   I have a finish to share with you.  It's Baby Jesus of the Cricket Nativity I'm stitching and I love how she gave him curly hair by making french knots.  I have started on Mary and hopefully will have her finished pretty soon.  I'm having a hard time deciding how I want to finish these.  I've thought of them being made into stand ups of course, but what if I had them framed all in one frame with the angel at the top in the center with Baby Jesus below her and Mary and Joseph standing on either side of Him.  What do you think?  I'd love to hear some ideas.


We came across a jewel in one of my cousins homes.  She passed away last year and her daughter, who I went to school with and have kept in touch with, was cleaning out some of her Mother's things.  She came across an old photo album of my paternal Grandmother's and gave it to my oldest brother because he has been working on our family tree.  He told me about it on the phone and I just couldn't wait to see this.  It's over 100 years old and in very fragile condition but it made it here yesterday.  Allow me to show you some of these old pictures of my father's family.

This picture is of my Grandmother Anna Grace who taught me all about needlework with her husband, Andrew.  This was taken in 1917 and he will pass away in 1918 of the Spanish flu during that epidemic.  Don't ya just love that car!!!!!

It's hard to tell but there's a baby in the middle...the little girl on the left is looking at him....the baby is my father born in March 1917 and is about 2 months old.  He never knew his father because like I said before he passed away in 1918.

This picture took us completely by surprise.  It is my Great-Great-Grandfather.  We never knew a picture existed of him and was very happy to have found one.

This good looking student is my father.  I'm not sure what grade he was in but he looks about 8 or 9 years old.  

My father is standing on the right and to the left is his brother, Bill.  I love the clothes my father is wearing and wish I could tease him about them.  The knickers with the argyle socks and necktie just crack me up.

Thank you for letting me share some of these old photos with you.  Family and history are very important to me and it's wonderful to be able to combine them and see a story.  Now that I'm older there are so many questions that I think about and wish I had asked my Mother or Father about.  My brother says the same thing.  I guess when you're young you have other things on your mind and it's not till you get older and understand just how important family is.

Blessings to All, Barbara

7 comments:

Marilyn said...

What great pics.
My niece recently started researching family history.
She also is finding info & pics that we never knew about.
She contacted a relative in Ireland that we didn't know even existed!
We even found out our cousins live close by, but never kept in touch!
Marilyn

carol sferra said...

Wow....those pictures are just priceless!!! What a blessing to have them.

Vickie said...

I agree Barbara. Those pictures are such a treasure. I have started asking my mom and her two sisters questions about their family for that exact reason. Once they are gone, who else will know these things?? I have done research into family history on both sides. It is very, very time consuming!

Barb said...

I loved the pictures. My DH has done lots of genealogy and photos like you have are such a treasure!! You are so right. We often think of things we would love to ask our parents but they are gone. We got a trunk of baby things and beautiful little hand crocheted gloves and we have no idea who they were made for. His sisters gave us the trunk after his mom had passed away. We treasure the little items, she kept them for some reason.

Sweet Sue said...

beautiful pics barbara, you're lucky they've survived all these years, each one a special treasure:)

diamondc said...

Barbara: I love seeing old photos, it is so amazing to me how the boys wore shorts back then.
What a treasure you have.
I had asked my Mother many questions before she died I wish I had asked more.
I hope you have a beautiful week-end.

Catherine

Rachel S-H said...

Family pictures are so wonderful to look at. I love yours!