Friday, May 17, 2013

Progress pictures

I thought I'd share my progress on two of my projects with you.  First is the hexagon quilt that I'm doing completely by hand.  This is by far my favorite project to work on right now.....as you can see from the pictures.   I have a few of the hexagons pinned (top left) that I have to stitch and then it's back to the cutting board.  I wanted a way that I could sew these together as I go but still use a variety of different fabrics.  I think I found it.  I'm starting in the center and working by rows out.  I've cut up 10 different fat quarters for the ones I've already stitched and to add different colors and patterns this way will give it a balanced look.  Then when I have all the flowered ones added I will go back and add two rows all the way around of greens to give it a border...somewhat.  Those hexagons will have the dark green in the center and medium green for the backing.  I love how this is turning out and I've decided on two names for it....My Mother's Garden or My Family's Garden.  I can't decide between the two....decisions, decisions.

Then there's the mandela using the Dinky Dye Oops bag.  I've used 4 colors so far and the rest was stitched in black silk.  This has also been fun to work on because I never know what color I will have to stitch next with.  They are in a paper bag and I just reach in and pick one.  No pre-planning at all except for the black. 


 I was looking around on Etsy the other day and came across this beautiful store that had all kinds of goodies.  One of them was this hand painted thread holder.  She offered them in two colors....pink or blue....and since I love pink there was no choice but to purchase one.  You can see her other goodies here.
Kay also included two of her little mug rugs hand stitched to look like kitties that are just adorable.  I highly recommend her shop which is located here in Florida.
I hope you all have a wonderful weekend and that you get some much needed stitching time.  We can't survive without a needle and fabric for too long.....let's not tempt faith. :o)
Blessings, Barbara


2 comments:

Vicky L said...

Your quilt is beautiful! I like the name My Family's Garden. The thread holder is adorable. The stitching is lovely.

Catherine said...

A fabulous quilt it is going to be ~ either name will be wonderful. Love your new thread holder!