Monday, April 23, 2012

My New Needlework Accessory

Have you ever had an idea come to you that you just can't shake?  Well I have and you're seeing it here.  I love those old time tool carriers and I thought what a great idea that would be for my stitching items.  It could sit right beside me on my couch and everything would be handy.  Well I found them in plastic but I hated how they looked.  I wanted one made of wood.  I found some on Ebay but they were antiques and quite expensive so they were out.  I found one down at Hobby Lobby on saturday but it was about 2 feet long....too big.  By now I was beginning to feel like Goldilocks and the 3 bears.  LOL

Then I came up with the idea of making one and so my story begins.  I laid awake saturday night in bed with this thing going around and around in my head.  I was thinking of all the different ways of making one of these and how I would go about it.  I woke up Sunday morning with a plan!!!
What you see above is my new little carrier.  It's 7" x 8"....just the right size.  I made the long sides soft so that they can expand if I need them to.  All the finishing was done by hand....including all the stitching of it together.  I should of taken pictures of how I did this and I promise if I make another one....I will.  It took about 4 hours work.
I am back to working on Fallen Roses.....I'm so close to the finish that I can taste it and I'm also working on a crocheted shawl.  I hope whatever you are working on has not been visited by that pesty frog!!!
Blessings as always,
Barbara

15 comments:

marly said...

When you put your mind to something, it gets done! Congratulations on designing a wonderful accessory. I made a wooden carrier many moons ago and now I need to pull it out and utilize your idea. Thank you!

Thoeria said...

What a cute and useful accessory! Would love to see how you put that all together :)

Vickie said...

Good for you! How neat. I love new ideas. I have a problem with putting them off. Glad yours got done. :)

butterfly said...

Love it Barbara.

Carol said...

What a great idea, Barbara! Don't you find most of your best ideas come in the middle of the night?!

Krista said...

What a lovely new creation! So pretty!

Christina G said...

Fab idea and you made it to...lot's of ideas just die a quiet death in folks' heads...but not yours! Yay!

Sweet Sue said...

Once again you've thrilled us! Congrats on a spectacular idea put to use:)

Barb said...

What a super idea! It looks so pretty as well as useful.

Penny said...

Very creative and beautifully done!

Valma said...

very cute, and so useful :)
I love the idea...
big hugs

Simple Pleasure said...

Barbara
I know I'm dating myself with this corny comment, but I can't resist...I LOVE WHEN A PLAN COMES TOGETHER. You executed this design beautifully!
I, too, come up with the best ideas on a sleepless night.
Busy Hands...Happy Heart
Patricia

Tatkis said...

Wonderful storage idea! So lovely and useful!

Hugs,
Tatyana

Jenny said...

What an adorable carrier - practicla, pretty colors, and wonderfully executed - way to go! :-)

Catherine said...

What a great idea! It looks wonderful!