Saturday, October 17, 2020

 Has it gotten cooler where you live?  Would you believe my air conditioner is still running with the high's near 90.  This is the middle of October and I feel crazy putting up my Halloween decorations in this heat.  I have a sister in law in Pa. who loves owls so I stitched a little cutie for her.  It came from one of the Halloween Yearly issues of JCS and it was designed by Blackberry Lane Designs.  I stitched it on a hand dyed 28ct Jobelan but the name escapes me.



I haven't done any more on the Coming to America design and I don't think I will for the rest of the year.  I went back to a SAL put out by Lizzie Kate that I had started a few years ago called Spirit of Christmas.  Maybe it will help lift my spirits with the pretty Christmas colors.  Here's what I have done so far...


I'm working on part 2 of the SAL so maybe it will be finished by this Christmas.  LOL

I'm also working on a shawl with some beautiful yarn but I'm just not sure how it's going to turn out.  I love the yarn in the skein but while working on it I'm not sure about the colors.  Weird right?  Here's the skein and what I have finished so far.


As you can see it starts out with a taupe which changes into a mustard color and then to orange and finally mauve.  Who knows!!  Maybe I'll like it when it's finished but I have serious doubts about it.

I went with Peyton and the kids to Sea World this past Wednesday but left my phone at home so I have no pics to share.  I will tell you that Zane has turned into Peyton's buddy for roller coaster rides.  He was finally tall enough to go on the one in the kids park and he came off the first time grinning from ear to ear.  He knew I was tired and wanted to go home but he asked so nicely if he and mommy could ride it again. Now I ask you....how am I to say no to that.  The second time he was just as happy.  The last ride of the day was Peyton on the Manta.  Here's what her version of one of the perfect roller coasters are like.  If you think they are hanging upside down you are correct.  You get on it in a sitting position and then you seat tips forward and you're upside down.  NO WAY!!!



That's all that's been going on in my little world.  I know everyone is so sick of wearing masks and it's really hard down here when it's so hot.  I haven't found a mask yet that I can breathe through with very little effort.  Hopefully I hope all of you are doing well and your families.  It's such a toll on everyone and we must hang together as a country.  I know it's difficult but we can do anything we put our minds to.

Stay Safe and Many Blessings,
Barbara

PS.  Melody has asked for the name of the shawl pattern and you can find it on Ravelry and it's called 'Recuerdos de infancia'

9 comments:

Melody A. said...

Hello love your work!! is there a pattern name for the shawl? I thought the stitches look really nice. I agree about the need for our spirit in America. Christmas is a state of mind, not a day and I love the Owl!! take care and try to stay cool, it is quite chilly in Iowa

diamondc said...

Barbara: I have a friend who knits, she had a similar problem, but when the collar wrap was finished it was lovely.
I really like that owl, it looks like he is looking right at me.
Spirit Of Christmas is beautiful.
What fun it would be to go on a ride, I have motion sickness so cannot go on rides, lucky Payton and tucker.
Have a great day

Catherine

gracie said...

My AC is still on here in Arizona and we are waiting for the temp to go below 100! Nice stitching on the owl.

marly said...

I'll trade air conditioner for furnace!! The last of the colorful sunny days here.

Adorable owl.

There is a plastic frame someone is selling (looks like an open dog muzzle) that holds the mask away from your face/mouth, cooler and much easier to breathe and talk.

Marilyn said...

Nice projects you've picked. A very cute Owl.
I think as the yarn unwinds, the colors will be pretty.
Glad you got to go Sea World.
NO WAY would I ride that!
Take care.
Marilyn

Robin in Virginia said...

Love the owl (the colors and the fabric you used) you stitched for your SIL! Your LK piece is looking good, Barbara. Hopefully the shawl will grow on you! Not a fan of roller coasters and I definitely wouldn't want to be upside down.

Barb said...

Your owl is so cute! Yes, the cool temps and the rain have returned to the Pacific NW. Gray day after gray day. I am so lucky that it does not depress me! The mask makes me so hot. My shopping times are way shorter and only when I really need to.

Pam in IL said...

The owl is so cute! I have the Lizzie Kate SAL still waiting to be started. Yours is coming along nicely. I love the colors of the yarn you are using. What brand and color is that? My mom has COPD and has trouble with masks as well. She uses the device Marly mentioned inside a surgical mask and does pretty good with it. It's been cold and gray here and some areas of northern Illinois have had snow! We've only had a few flurries, but it sure feels cold. I'm sorry to hear that your spirits are low and will keep you in my prayers. Take care.

Bethan said...

It's definitley cooler where I am, but I am based in the UK. It's very soggy too! Peyton's idea of an amazing rollercoaster looks great - it reminds me of one here called Air, which had you in a similar position. You didn't get wet though! Hopefully once you get more colours in the shawl will grow on you; the stitch design looks so pretty x