Thursday, June 27, 2019

Ravelry

Without going into too much detail about my politics, I want to make everyone aware of something.  On Ravelrys website they have now announced that there will be no discussion about our President or anything conservative.  You are not allowed to make any patterns saluting him or his "regime" because they feel he stands for White Supremacy.  This is the kind of  behavior I just hate to see happening in our country.  This is how it begins and what's left is not pretty to look at.  I want to share a post made on "The Federalist" from a woman who joined Ravelry and this is now her take on it and how it should be responded to.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leaving Isn’t Really a Solution to a Bullying Problem

We are repeatedly told that these websites and communities are free, so we can’t complain or shouldn’t expect much. While it’s true that there is no cash outlay for membership, these sites are not free.
The cost of being a Ravelry customer for the last nine years has been reasonable. I pay them my attention, my data, and a portion of the cost of patterns. I skip past the “adult” content and the hateful lefty content. In return, I get access to the pattern and yarn databases, a helpful community, and a useful crafting notebook.
As of Sunday, Ravelry has changed that equation. They have added significant costs to me. If I am to continue to be their customer, I have to accept their claims of white supremacy. I must accept their bigotry, and allow myself to be silenced.
That’s too high of a cost for me. So I will leave.
I’m under no illusions—leaving Ravelry is not even a tiny step towards a solution. This is not how one stops a bully. All I’m doing is “taking a different route to school.” I’m saving myself from the bully’s attacks, but I’m not stopping the bully.
By speaking out, I’m hoping to divert a few others from the bully’s path, but still, that does nothing to stop the bully. Still, I suppose there has to be a start—identify the bully as such, save yourself, try to save others.
It does seem that conservatives are learning, slowly, to identify these bullies a bit more quickly. That’s something.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tor the last coupe of days that I have felt ok, I've slowly been placing all the patterns I have purchased since I joined the website back in 2008 onto a USB stick because I can't justify belonging to a website that behaves this way.  I would feel like I am supporting their decision and that I just won't.  Everyone in this country has a voice and should be allowed to use  such voice whether you agree or disagree with someone.  They are slowly taking away that voice and it hits my heart bad.  I won't have much time left on this earth but my grand children and great-grandchildren will and it just breaks my heart that they will not know the America I grew up in.  It's slowly being taken away in the removal of monuments, our history books and anything else that can be found saying what happened in this country.  Truly I am surprised that the Lincoln Memorial is still standing.

I don't know how many of you belong to Ravelry but I assume that a lot of people do not go to the home page and that is where this information is posted.  This has made the national news so maybe they will change their minds but I seriously doubt it.  I leave it up to each of you that do belong to think about what they are allowing themselves to do and to your way of thinking.

Sorry for the long post but I think I needed to say this.
Blessings, Barbara

If you would like to read more about this, check out this website:

https://thefederalist.com/?s=ravelry



6 comments:

Beth in IL said...

I agree with you. I joined Ravelry to get one pattern. I need to go delete my membership. So sad to be silenced.

gracie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Robin in Virginia said...

Barbara, thank you for the link to The Federalist site to read! It makes my heart hurt with the censorship and derision that is going on. I hope you are feeling better and in less pain today. Thinking of you!

pamamom said...

Hi, thank you for taking a stand for Freedom of Speech, and denouncing the censorship that Ravelry has imposed on half of its members. There will be a new web site open soon, it is in the works. No politics, just crafting and patterns. If we allow this to happen, and bow our heads to it as Ravelry suggests, then we are allowing ourselves to be censored. I won't do this, many Americans have ancestors that came to this country for freedom of speech. Anyway, just thank you for this note and I am bookmarking your site! Pam

diamondc said...

Barbara: Bingo, as a conservative I am sick and tired of all our freedoms being taken away, its a shame this will be the future for young people, they soon will not be learning how this Great nation came to be but how it will be torn apart.
I am sick of liberals telling me how to live and having our history ripped from the books.
The Federalist is a great site the podcast are amazing.

Catherine

my2siamese said...

I full support, salute and respect all of us who are upset and scared for our country. We, as a group, have a voice, just like those on the "left". I agree with so many, we don't recognize the America we grew up in and that is truly sad for those behind us!