Monday, September 10, 2018

Some Updates

I sure hope everyone's week started out with a bang and not a clang.  Mine of course was laundry day and after the dinner we had last with the kids, I needed a morning nap first.  It being Peyton's birthday she got to pick the restaurant so off we went to Texas de Brazil here in Orlando.  If you have one of these in your area, I highly recommend it.  It's a very different kind of eating experience.  You go up to the salad bar and get your veggies and such and then men come around with meat on long skewers and cut you off a slice of whatever meat they happen to have on it.  It ranges from filet mignon to bacon wrapped chicken.  Here is a link to the main website in case you're interested.  If you are not full when you leave there, it's your own fault.  I was in misery!!!!!

Peyton did finish her Harry Potter castle and here it is with Little John just dieing to get at it. 



Now to figure out how to display it.  If anyone has any ideas, please don't hesitate to let me know.

I have a small finish to share.  It's called "Hocus Pocus Halloween" by Heart in Hand and it takes no time at all to stitch.  I have a problem with some of the designers doing these small designs but asking you to spend a fortune on the hand dyed threads so that it turns out like theirs.  I'm just not doing it anymore.  I had 3 of the hand dyed in my stash and the rest I did with DMC which she gave you the comparison colors.  Unfortunately, not all designers do this and that's what I really have a problem with.  Am I the only one?


I have a collection of these different colored threads and I've decided to use them as braids for some of my ornaments.  They are called "Painter's Threads".


Here he is all finished and ready to be hung for Little John's birthday.

I'm starting an old Blackbird Designs project called "Garland Fair" but I'm not using the threads they called for.  They wanted Maple Syrup by Gentle Arts and I'm using one of the DMC Color Variations #4000.  It has greys and about 3 different shades of brown in it and I'm stitching it on a green mystery linen about the same color as what the pattern calls for.



I love doing monochrome patterns so this should be fun.  I will leave you with this thought:


Barbara

8 comments:

Terri Patillo said...

Count, count, and re-count on Garland Fair. I made ONE off-set line and ended up not catching it until I took my last stitch. :(

marly said...

Wow. The castle did not take very long to construct!

I never use the fancy threads since I have no where to see them and feel them before purchasing.

MartinaM said...

Congratulations to Peyton, for her birthday and for the finished castle, she made a lot of effort.
Your embroidery looks great. I have not embroidered any of Black Bird Design yet, but I'd like to do it sometime.
Greetings, Martina

Marilyn said...

The HP Castle is awesome!
Cute little Halloween design, I too feel the same way.
The design is so small, why waste the good threads!!
Cute finish.
Garland Fair will be beautiful in that color.
Have a great week!
Marilyn

Barb said...

Well what a busy Barbara you have been, I do not know why but I have not been getting notifications you have posted. I have just been back a couple of posts and so pleased to read Peyton has a diagnosis.The castle is fabulous , your stitching is so lovely as always ,I am in awe of how much you get done. Hugs to all.

Robin in Virginia said...

Wow, on the HP castle! I have no suggestions on display other than behind glass. I'm guessing it would be a pain to dust.

Your Heart in Hand piece turned out good. What are Painter's Threads and where do you get them? The one you used for the cord on the HIH piece is gorgeous. I look forward to seeing your BBD stitch come to life with your needle and thread.

Barb said...

Thanks for that sweet Peanuts cartoon! That castle is just amazing. it almost needs a table of it's own. No better ideas. I totally agree with you about the floss. Plus I have only one place that I can buy floss. She often runs out of a certain color and does not carry Crescent colours and it seems to me that a lot of designers are using those floss colors! I am always happy to get a chart that uses good old DMC!

Bethan said...

We have a similar restaurant here in the UK called Tropiero (I may have spelt that wrong!). It's so filling! I love Peyton's Hogwarts - I have no display ideas I'm afraid but I look forward to seeing how she does display it x