Wednesday, January 14, 2015

First off, today is "dress your dog for work" day so here's Vallie in her go to meeting outfit.....ain't she cute!

I want to share with you what I'm working on.  I inherited my paternal grandmother's rocking chair and it's in need of a new seat cover.  I decided to do it in hexies with a ruffle at the front.  The hexies I have just about finished but I'm waiting on two more fabrics from the Fat Quarter Shop....hopefully they will arrive tomorrow.  This is the chair:


You see the top of the back?  Well I'd like to add a padded piece to fit over the top of the chair and only go as low as to where the spindles start.  My problem?  The top part if longer than the bottom part so how do I attach something like that.  I would of loved for it to just slip over the top but that's impossible because of the way it's shaped.  Does that make sense?  If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them.
Here are the hexies I have finished and they show the color scheme.

The fabric is a Moda fabric called Plum Sweet with gold and an antique plum color in it.  I know my grandmother would of loved it.

That's all for today.  I'm back to sewing hexies together and maybe watching an old black and white movie on TCM....my favorite channel.
Blessings for a perfect day, Barbara


5 comments:

Vickie said...

She is precious!
I would still make a cover to slip over the top. What if you put a zipper in one side seam? Or sew it closed partially, and sew it shut once it is on the rocker?

Carol said...

That looks like quite a project--love the colors you're using for it!

Catherine said...

Vallie is so sweet!! Love the rocker and can't wait to see how it turns out!

Pam in IL said...

My grandma has a similar shaped rocking chair. She put ties on the pieces she made for hers.

Terri said...

Vallie sure is a cutie!!

Love the colors of the seat cover you're making! I hope you figure out something for the back!