Monday, November 21, 2011

BBD Thistle House Pincushion

I had started this Blackbird Design several weeks ago and then had to put it on the backburner while other things needed to be finished.  Well I finally got around to finishing the stitching and turning this absolutely beautiful design into a pincushion.  The fabric around the middle is a Moda fabric for Blackbird Designs and it matches the linen color perfectly so that was a no brainer.  When it came to the trim I was a little stumped.  I have the chenille trim that Blackbird Designs uses so often but it just didn't do anything for the design.  Then I found this narrow braid in a soft burgundy and it was perfect.  
I went up to Joann's this morning in search of some cotton fabric to use for backing on an ornament I'm doing for a friend.  I've designed the pattern and after she receives it, I will post the pattern on here for you all to enjoy.  While there I saw that they were selling dog collars with Christmas designs on them.  Well you know my Miss Vallie just had to have one.  I will try to get a picture of her later with her wearing this.  She thinks she is hot stuff with her new collar.
I hope everyone is having a great Monday and that you are getting all ready for Thanksgiving.  I don't know about where you live, but here in Orlando that traffic was terrible this morning.  I think alot of people have the week off from work and are taking advantage of getting some shopping done.  I'm glad I'm home now and will be all week.  I never, ever go anywhere on Black Friday.  I truly don't believe in it and  I think it's terrible that the stores almost force you to do your shopping on that day.  Oh well....I guess I'm showing my age because I can remember when it was fun to go Christmas shopping with my Mother and actually enjoy the experience.  Now it's all about rushing to this store to get this bargain and then unto the next.  No fun as far as I'm concerned.  Am I the only one who feels this way?
Blessings as always,
Barbara

16 comments:

Teresa S. said...

I love this pincushion. You were thinking out of the box about finishing and it turned out beautiful!

Sweet Sue said...

Stunning finish Barbara!!! I'm with you, Black Friday will find me snuggled up at home. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours:)

Unknown said...

Love the cushion Barbara, as usual its finished gorgeous. Here in Ireland we don't have a black friday on the 8th of December the shops get hit by a lot of familiys as schools are closed so I guess thats similar but I don't tend to go to the shops that day either, lol.

cucki said...

really very beautiful finish..i love it so much.
happy thanksgiving to you and your family.
hugs xx

Phyllis said...

I love your pincushion and the way you finished it. I have some of that alphabet Blackbird fabric in another color and I never thought about using it that way.
Isn't it fun to spoil Miss Vallie? I have a grand dog,Chloe,who belongs to my daughter,and we love to buy her new toys and spoil her. She's a Bichon and is such a sweetie.

marly said...

Holy fusilli. What a gorgeous piece and finish. Amazing. I don't buy many Christmas gifts. We give to charities of choice instead. I do like to get in the crowds and find a child that looks unhappy, drop a $10 bill at their feet, tap their shoulder, and let them think they found money. The look on their face is priceless!

Connie W said...

The burgundy braid really is the perfect finishing touch for your beautiful stitchery.

Catherine said...

Beautiful finish! I totally agree with you on the shopping. There's nothing sacred about Thanksgiving anymore either, with the stores opening now on a day when families should be together.

Carol said...

Oh, what a stunning finish, Barbara!! Just perfect :)

I'm not a Black Friday shopper either--why put yourself smack-dab in the middle of chaos?? I am dreading the drive up to NY on Wednesday; between the rain and the traffic it should be a long, long day!

Wishing you and your family a lovely Thanksgiving :)

Sherry said...

Beautiful!!!!

Kerri said...

What a wonderful finish! I love the trim and think it is just perfect.

I am with you on the Black Friday thing. Way too much pressure and I am so not a morning person. I went last year to get a vacuum cleaner that was on sale that we deperately needed. Once was enough. I am doing most of my shopping online this year!

Carol R said...

Beautiful finish Barbara

Trina said...

Really, really pretty!
This is the first year that we will be without either of the girls living at home. So, since I haven't done the Black Friday thing since the girls were little, I thought I would go out, just to be around the hustle and bustle. Wish me luck!

Christina G said...

Black Friday, it has been proven over and over, is a big fat LIE! You can get the same or better deals closer to Christmas. I don't start shopping until mid-December and usually will take a day off from work. Stay sane and have a wonderful Thanksgiving Feast! Lovely pincushion. Can you direct me to the instructions? I would love to make this shape. Thank you!

PegC said...

Love the finish. Black Friday--I went twice--for fun! That was enough. May go out tomorrow because I have the day off--but may stay home in jammies stitching.

Tatkis said...

Adorable pincushion finish, I just love BBD designs!

Hugs,
Tatyana